Skip to main content

Hold Your Tongue - And Your Finger

Having the innate ability to touch a life is a special gift that really anybody can have. How we shape our words and body language will ultimately determine how effective we are and whether we touch someone positively or negatively.... Hmmmm something to think about.

I try my best to smile, be polite and never raise my voice because we know that's how a lady should act. However, like any lady we all have the potential to turn into a monster if someone treats our family poorly :) I hope and pray we all strive to be this way instead of the opposite and we should teach out children to be kind and good people... Whatever happened to teaching the Golden Rule?


I watch on Social Media as we attack each other for having different views, or use the fact that we are typing on a screen vs talking face to face to act like someone different than people know us to be. As a child I was taught to not speak if I didn't have anything nice to say and to turn the other cheek and be a bigger person even when I didn't want to. I haven't always put this to practice and I'm sure before my time comes I will fall short again. However, it is a great principal to live by.

Why is it that children have more common sense on how to act than the people raising them? Before you stop reading, take time to think about it....
If your child read your status updates would they be shocked? I surely hope not!

I've recently listened to my 6yr old and some of your children... They are kind to each other (for the most part lol) They pray for one another. If they wrong one another, they own up and apologize then go on being friends as if nothing ever happened. Why do we lose that sweet sincere spirit? Where along the line do we become so cynical and simple minded? Children have larger than life imaginations and dreams that could mover mountains. Why do we allow life to transform our souls into cold, unforgiving adults?

It breaks my heart to watch people who should be working together to spread Gods love ripping each other apart by the words you type.... It's no longer "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"; we now have to teach "If you can't type/post anything nice don't post at all."

It's not worth it.... Staying connected on Social Media just isn't worth losing sight of reality!


If we really wanted people to respect us and we didn't want to attract drama then we would invest in a journal/diary and keep our spontaneous, nerve striking post off the World Wide Web.

Now, I know the first reaction I'm going to get is... "Have you read the constitution? There is this thing called freedom of speech" Yes, you have a valid point but how do you want that speech to be remembered when you're long gone? How do you want it to affect your family? How do you want it to affect your children's future? Is that freedom worth losing respect over? Is that freedoms being abused?

We are all entitled to our opinion however, is your sharing it just to get it off your chest worth the ramifications that may follow?? Not to me and I may be different than you but I want to positively change someone's life and I can't do that if I'm constantly having to screen my Social Media because I posted something out of raw emotion. If I'm in a bad mood I need to stay away from any Social Media sight because that's usually when we share things we shouldn't.
Scratch that if I'm in a bad mood (me personally) I need to go pray until it passes because I don't want to hurt anyone, nor do I have the right to. It's not your fault right?

Like our Pastor has taught, once it's out there you can't get rid of it... That's why in politics there are so many retractions!

I have prayed and reflected a lot before writing this and I'm reminding myself as well as all who read to be positive and up lifting. If the image you want to have is that of Christ than I encourage you to take a stand with me and change the bad reputation Social Media has.


Luke 6:20-38
Looking at his disciples, he said: “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh. Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man. “Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets. “But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort. Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep. Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets. “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Give and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."

This parable is quite possibly one of the hardest for our flesh. That's why we must read it as often as necessary to remind ourself of what God requires of his children. It's easy to read books and quote the author all while saying how smart they are. God ultimately gave the knowledge required to write that book and have their scholarly titles so why is it we don't spend as much time emerged in the bible and studying to better our life?

I personally am ashamed of myself for putting God on the back burner...
Yes, the Pastors Wife gets busy with life and sometimes is human :)
I'm adjusting my priorities and I encourage you too as well. Social Media has become more important to us than our creator and savior. Let Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Vine etc. be the last thing we do in a day instead of the first. Spend less time exploring gossip or "profile stalking" and more time doing outreach, spreading Gods word, helping others and building relationships.

Let's stop tearing each other down or trying to compete to be better than someone and start lifting each other up, encouraging friends and family and celebrating victories.

This is the only way as Christians we will survive in this lost & troubled world! I love you all and I am truly striving every day to be the Pastor's wife you deserve. I know those who have led before me would be disappointed if I didn't speak out when I was so strongly burdened. I pray for you and know through God we can turn this world upside down, but we must stop the brutality toward one another.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fathomless Billows Of Love

On this day 12 years ago I lost my brother. I remember the sound of the voice on the other side of the phone telling us to come to the hospital. I remember being cold. I remember the sounds of the chaos around me. I remember the chair I sat in as I watched my mom try to be strong. I remember so many little details but mainly I remember the giant hole it left in my heart! Nothing can ever separate us from [God's]  love . ... I remember singing  Peace, peace, wonderful peace, Coming down from the Father above! Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray In fathomless billows of love! What does "Fathomless billows of love" even mean Fathomless means  something that can't be understood; a  billow  is like a cloud swelling because of a sudden surge. So...... as many times as I questioned God's presence, his love never failed. It comes in waves and blows into my soul in a way that I can't understand. It soothes just when I can't handle another blow. It embraces me when

The Young Minister's Wife, So Harshly Judged

A life lesson I had to learn the hard way was: IT'S OK TO SAY "NO" I am not backslid or a stuck up snob if I can't attend every Ladies Meeting and Youth Event in Georgia. At the stage of life I'm in, I have 2 small boys who need and deserve the majority of my time. Not to mention I am a Pastor's Wife/Music Director. They always come first and that sometimes means I have to decline an invitation.  It's unfortunate that it is said "She uses her kids as a crutch" or "She isn't in the altar praying for everyone, she's just in the back socializing" If you could really understand what a Ministers Wife with small children truly has to conquer in order to just be at an event we would give them gold stars and nothing but praise every chance we get.  I don't think we should walk on egg shells or take on more than we can handle because we are afraid of what everyone else thinks about us sitting with our children instea

To Be A Pillar

It's easy to be weak but it's hard to be strong! What do you want your life to say about you? "The wise woman builds not only for herself but for those who follow along behind her." -Joy Haney You have to confidently know that God will fulfill every promise he has every made to you & trust that it will happen in his timing. It's when we get impatient and want it our way that we become weak and fall short. God has called each of us to be a servant in his kingdom and sometimes we get caught up and forget its not about me or you! Its always about the kingdom, you can't serve people and bring them to the kingdom without being a people person or without being about His business! If the world can't see Jesus in you and through you why would they want it? Sometimes by being still and silent you are standing tall & speaking loud! It is ignorant and careless to share every thought and opinion that we have. Think before you speak, blog, tweet or text!!